What are the recommended prerequisites for Fleishers classes?
Our classes are designed for students of all levels, from beginners to professionals. Here’s what you should know:
- 101 Classes: These are introductory classes, perfect for beginners. Our Sausage Making classes are a great educational experience, they’re even suitable for kids ages 10 and up! Your class will involve a demonstration by our expert butchers, and may include some hands-on cutting and basic knife skills. Please see the class description for more details.
- 201 Classes: These are intermediate classes, perfect for experienced home cooks, or anyone who would like a short butchery intensive without the time commitment of our 301 courses. Your class will involve a demonstration by our expert butchers, and will include substantial hands-on cutting and butchery techniques. Please see the class description for more details.
- 301 Classes: These are advanced classes, designed for culinary professionals or anyone who’d like to go into the butchery industry. You must be over 18 years old, have a core competency of knife skills, and be able to lift 50 lbs.
What should I wear?
Butchery can be a messy business, so please wear clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty! Also, for safety and hygiene, bring a hair tie, hat or bandana, and wear jeans or durable pants (no shorts), and comfortable closed-toe, non-slip shoes. You may be standing for extended periods of time; if that isn’t feasible, please contact us and we will try to accommodate you.
Will we be eating any of the delicious meats we’re learning about?
But of course, there’s nothing better than learning through eating! You’ll receive meat to take home for further culinary practice, and some classes may include a meat sampling to enhance your educational experience.
I’m giving this class as a gift, can you keep it a surprise?
No worries, you will be the one receiving the order confirmation, and we will not contact the gift recipient directly until the week before the class. If you’d like, you can mention any specific notification instructions in the “Notes” section of your orders.
My plans have changed and I can’t make the class I signed up for. How do I switch dates or cancel?
Most of our classes require that we reserve extra protein in advance for classes. Therefore, it is crucial that you notify us immediately if you are no longer able to attend a class. Class registrations are non-refundable, but you can transfer to a different date or receive class credit to sign up for another class under the following schedule:
- 10 days or more in advance: You may transfer to another class or receive class credit for the value of the class.
- 2-10 days in advance: You may transfer to another class or receive class credit for the value of the class, minus a $30 fee.
- Less than 48 hours in advance: No class transfers or class credit will be issued.
Requests for class transfers or credit must be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I won a class voucher at an event/auction/contest, how do I redeem it?
Congratulations! If you did not receive a code to redeem your class online, please email email@example.com.
I don’t see a class available at the butcher shop near me, when will new classes be posted?
We typically post new classes about every 3-4 months. If you don’t see a suitable date/location, please sign up for our mailing list for announcements, or follow us on social media (Facebook / Instagram / Twitter).
Currently, we are holding classes at all four of our butcher shops, plus our education space at The Silo in Brooklyn. However, our Greenwich butcher shop is our flagship butchery education space, with much more access to case cutting, custom butchery, and creative utilization of the whole animal. If you are in NYC and able to travel to Greenwich for a class, we highly recommend spending the day exploring Greenwich! Our shop is a 15 minute walk away from the Cos Cob station. The trip is about 60 minutes via Metro North.
I’d like to learn something that’s not currently offered, can I arrange a private class?
Can you teach a workshop for a team-building exercise at my company/school/church?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposed topic, number of participants, date/time, and location, and we’ll see what we can do! Note: We do not teach outside of NYC and Fairfield County, CT. We cannot teach deer butchery classes (or any other wild animal) in our shops, however send us a message and we may be able to arrange something similar.