Yield: Serves 4 for dinner, or 2 hearty eaters who enjoy leftovers
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- Remove casings from the sausage and crumble the meat.
- In salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss lightly with olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil at medium heat until you can see the oil start to shimmer. Add the red onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until translucent and lightly golden.
- Increase heat to medium high and add the crumbled sausage. When the sausage begins to brown and is partly cooked, add the zucchini and finish cooking the pork.
- When pork is done, add the sausage mixture to the pasta. Toss, then add the pesto and cherry tomatoes. Mix thoroughly. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Let’s Get Creative
- Double down on the pork! Instead of olive oil, start the sauté with 1/4 lb of diced pancetta or guanciale (for a richer, funkier flavor), cook until rendered, and then follow the instructions above, while leaving the pancetta or guanciale in the pan.
- Substitute ground chicken or diced boneless chicken thighs for the sausage.
- Use Sfoglini Hemp Rigatoni (with hemp from our Eaton Farms) to add a nice nutty flavor and a toothsome quality.
- Leave out the meat for a vegetarian version.