Active Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 frozen or jarred artichoke hearts, quartered (thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Pat the chicken dry and season salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary, to avoid crowding and cook until well browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Decrease the heat to medium. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the next 6 ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in 1/4 cup of the stock to deglaze the pot, stirring to loosen any bits stuck to the pot. Stir in a pinch of salt and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the remaining 1 3/4 cups of stock the lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the chicken, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and olives and stir gently to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice. Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Garnish with the mint.