Yield: 3 quarts
Active Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 24+ hrs
- 2+ pounds neck and knuckle bones
- 1 1/2 pounds beef shanks or short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely shopped
- 2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Optional: 1 bunch of parsley, 1 tablespoon or more of sea salt, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, additional herbs or spices to taste.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place meat bones in a roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, turning to coat. Roast until browned, 30 to 35 minutes. They don’t need to cook all the way through but to just develop some color.
Put roasted meat and bones in a 12-quart stockpot and add vinegar and enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 hours. While simmering, occasionally skim fat and foam from the top using a ladle.
Add all the remaining ingredients. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for a minimum of 3 hours, and up to 24 hrs for a richer broth. Add water as needed to keep ingredients fully submerged.
Remove bones with a slotted spoon or tongs. Pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large heatproof bowl. Once broth has cooled, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.