Fleisher’s is offering a variety of introductory Butchery courses, teaching knife skills, safety techniques, basic anatomy, sausage making, beef and chicken demonstrations and includes hands-on lamb and pig carving workshops. Cooking demos, taste tests and lectures on sustainability and sourcing are incorporated throughout to give each student an overview of what being a sustainable butcher means to us and the communities we serve.
The classes are overseen by Fleisher’s master butchers. We supply you with all necessary equipment and provide you with worksheets, recipes, and in some classes, a set of knives to take home with you. Participants will see firsthand their local food system in action.
Space is limited so purchase tickets now via Brown Paper Tickets or email email@example.com with any questions. Classes sell out quickly.
Pig-to-Pork Series: Pork, Sausage-Making & Beer. (Sold Out)
- Whole pig butchery demo
- Hands-on sausage making
- Beer pairing provided by our friends at Brooklyn Brew Shop
- Tickets are available via Brown Paper Tickets
- Thursday, August 14th in Red Hook, Brooklyn. 6:30-9pm.
Pig-to-Pork Series: Hog Harvest. $500 per student.
- Hog harvest at a local farm in the Hudson Valley
- Lectures on humanely raised meat & ethical slaughter practices
- Discussions on sourcing, sustainability and labeling
- Whole hog pig carving demonstration at our Kingston shop led by master butcher Hans Sebald
- Lessons on sausage making plus meat for the take-away!
- Sunday, September 21st in Kingston, NY.
Pig-to-Pork Series: Butchery 101. $500 per student.
- Knife skills & safety techniques
- Basic anatomy
- Demos and hands-on workshops on carving a pig
- Sausage making
- Take home your own handmade sausages!
- Sunday, September 28th in Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY.
We recommend taking both Hog Harvest & Butchery 101 for a complete Pig-to-Pork experience. If possible, attend Hog Harvest first.
Once you sign up for these courses, we will send you a full course curriculum detailing the day-by-day events. If you are coming from out of town, we are able to offer discounts at local hotels and bed and breakfasts. There is no refund for these courses. However registrations are transferrable to another student, as well as to another date, based on availability.
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to “meating” you soon.