How are the Animals Treated?
Pasture-raised animals are treated better than feedlot-raised animals. Period.
At Fleisher’s the ethical treatment of animals is one of our basic tenets. We promote respect between our consumers, farmers and animals. We insist that special attention and consideration is paid to the handling, transport and processing of all of our animals.
All of the farms and slaughterhouses must meet the following standards:
- Farmers are proponents of proper animal husbandry.
- Animals always have access to grass and open pastures.
- Animals are not given antibiotics or hormones.
- All feed and grains must come from local mills and or grown on the farm. Store bought (or gmo) grain is never acceptable.
- Animals must travel less than an hour to the slaughterhouse.
- Slaughterhouses must be small and committed to humane slaughter practices.